Mr. Vijay Gawde
As a member of a larger community, VSIT recognizes its societal responsibilities and the importance of mobilizing its youth towards volunteering in social service to make the world a better place for all citizens, regardless of differences.
The Vidyalankar Volunteering Committee shall motivate students to willingly participate in ‘on-the field’ social service activities, build partnerships with NGO’s to address common goals and raise awareness of volunteering as it is also an important part of the role of educators.
National Service Scheme (NSS) is the programme run by the ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports in Central Government and Department of Higher & Technical Education in State government. The primary objective of this scheme is the personality development of students through the community service. At present around 232 colleges of Mumbai University are implementing this scheme through 320 units with student strength of 36,000.
Vidyalankar Volunteering Committee of VSIT initiated the process of establishing NSS Unit in VSIT & successfully got this done in September 2009. The Motto of NSS is “Not Me But You”.
Under the NSS Programme any student studying in a village or in a university who opts for and is selected for NSS is expected to continue for the period of two years and is required to render social service for a minimum 120 hours per year and he is also required to participate in 7 day special camping programme.
- Initiate programmes such as Blood Donation Camps, Anti-Pollution drives, Voting Registrations,Polio drive etc.
- Ensure student participation in community service
- Enter into understandings with NGO’s to work for the benefit of society
- Arrange guest lectures and seminars by eminent philanthropists to enhance awareness on Volunteering
- Initiate NSS and NCC, after obtaining the necessary permissions, to build a student base of volunteers
- Observe special days like World AIDS day
- Organize events to increase awareness among community members and involve them in social work so that they can work hand-in-glove with students
- Establish NSS Unit and engage in its activities